Detectives from the Montgomery County Police Collision Reconstruction Unit (CRU) continue to investigate a double fatal collision that occurred yesterday in Silver Spring.
On March 16, at approximately 12:27 p.m., officers from the 3rd District responded to a vehicle collision in the 9300 block of Piney Branch Road.
The preliminary investigation revealed that a black, 2006, Toyota Corolla was traveling eastbound in the 9300 block of Piney Branch Road. A black, 1995, Ford tow truck was traveling westbound on Piney Branch Road. For reasons still under investigation, the Toyota Corolla crossed the center of the roadway and collided with the Ford tow truck.
The driver of the Toyota Corolla, Olin Dale Sorenson, age 26, of an unconfirmed address, was transported to MedStar Washington Hospital Center and succumbed to his injuries at the hospital.
The front passenger of the Corolla, Sylvia Clarice Taiko Reiff, age 23, of the 10300 block of Royal Road in Silver Spring, was pronounced deceased at the scene.
The driver of the tow truck has been identified as Melesio J. Monterroza Cartagena, age 51, of the 1000 block of Cresthaven Drive in Silver Spring. Cartagena was transported to a local hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
The circumstances surrounding this collision remain under investigation. Investigators are asking anyone who witnessed this fatal collision to contact the Collision Reconstruction Unit at 301-840-2435. Callers may remain anonymous.
# # #
Contact: Media Services Division Phone: 240.773.5030
- Silver Spring construction shuts sidewalks, violating policy – Greater Greater Washington
- Silver Spring man faces drunken driving charges after crash with Howard officer – Baltimore Sun
- A Silver Spring man died Sunday after a car crash in Laurel early Saturday morning, and police are now investigating whether he was under the influence of alcohol at the time of the accident. – baltimoresun.com
- Police identify victim in Sunday fatal crash – baltimoresun.com
- UPDATE: Police Investigate Homicide in Calvert, Shooting Victim Identified – Southern Maryland News, Charles County, Calvert County and St. Mary’s County News
- I-70 closed at Route 40 due to fatal collision – baltimoresun.com
- Deadly Head-On Crash in Kingsville – Baltimore News, Weather, Breaking News | WMAR-TV
- Illegal immigrant charged in West Manheim Township double fatal crash – The York Daily Record